Social Justice Warriors is a satirical role-playing game that transforms the standard medieval fantasy heroes of RPGs into social media crusaders facing an endless horde of ignorant, bigoted internet trolls. Contradict the fallacies of internet trolls as a Social Justice Paladin dueling with comments, a Social Justice Cleric channeling the power of a deified online community, a Social Justice Mage weaving words into powerful spells of online journalism, or a Social Justice Rogue striking from the shadows of the internet. Warriors fight and fall by the measure of their Patience and Reputation meters so you must choose: rely solely on logical arguments even if the troll ignores them or stoop to their level and retort with ad hominem attacks of your own?
In March 2014, an image circulated titled “SJW videogame ‘journalists’ to avoid” listing a number of videogame journalists from prominent websites. Inspired by this dismissive image, I created the game as an expression of frustration with people’s use of divisive labels to discredit and silence each other. No matter what social values you embody, attacking and ridiculing other people not only fails to achieve progress but has an additional effect of escalating the conflict while exhausting your patience and eroding your reputation.
I chose not to depict social justice warriors as the negative stereotype but as a symbol for any human standing up against ignorance. By pairing social justice warriors with the opposing label used to dismiss someone online – troll – in a modernization of a medieval fantasy RPG, I hoped to get people talking about how we interact online and to reconsider their own actions in the future.
For more information about the intentions behind the game, read Making a Social Justice Warriors Game. To read about the public’s reactions to the game, assigning it dismissive and contradictory labels of “pro-SJW game” and “anti-SJW game,” read Releasing a Social Justice Warriors Game.
For the month of December 2014, all proceeds from Social Justice Warriors sales were donated to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, totaling $200. Read more here.
Game Updates / Press Releases
“Patience” Update #5 – December 14, 2016 – remastered game update with mouse input, text scaling, and bug fixes
A Good Bundle – November 24, 2016 – SJW included in charity game bundle to raise $100k+ for ACLU and Planned Parenthood
“One Year Later” Update #4 – May 12, 2015 – expanded dialog and Social Justice Champion gameplay
“Steamy Update” Update #3 – February 27, 2015 – Steam release, added achievements, new art, new music, increased to 1600 lines of dialog
Donating Proceeds to Charity – December 1, 2014 – Proceeds from sales donated to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
“Warriors Are Everywhere” Update #2 – December 1, 2014 – Added five warrior classes, three troll bosses, Social Justice Champion gameplay
“Spicy, Juicy” Update #1 – August 7, 2014 – Added sound effects, doubled attack pool
- PAX South 2015: Why We Need Games Like Social Justice Warriors -IGN
- Don’t Feed the Trolls, Fight Them – Think Progress
- Did Social Justice Warriors Win PAX East? – Destructoid
- Slay Internet Trolls in Social Justice Warriors, the Game – Motherboard
- Game Connoisseur : Social Justice Warriors – the RPG – IndieJuice
- Social Justice Warrior Review – Gamerwife
- Social Justice Warriors Now Have Their Own RPG – Gameranx
- Satirical game about uselessness of arguing on internet immediately inspires useless arguing on internet – Kill Screen
- Battle for Truth Against the Slavering Internet Hordes in Social Justice Warriors – Indie Game Magazine
- Columbus Day is a perfect day for Social Justice Warriors – Futabot
- Social Justice Warriors – Automaton (Japanese)
- March 7, 2015 – Jonathan Holmes – Destructoid
- January 23, 2015 – Vincent Ingenito – IGN
- January 23, 2015 – Luis Angeles, APGNation
- September 02, 2014 – Fergus Halliday, Leviathyn
- June 06, 2014 – Cameron Long, Here Are Words
- May 27, 2014 – Bob Reinhard, Artistry In Games
- May 20, 2014 – Jaymee Mak, Vancouver Film School Arcade